Federal Criminal Defense Lawyers in the Federal District Court of Minnesota
For a person accused of a crime, federal court is a daunting place to be. The power of the federal government is awesome. And its laws are harsh and cruel. But an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer can protect your Liberty.
Diminished federal jury trial right
Federal criminal defense lawyers practice in a court where the jury trial “right” under the U.S. Constitution no longer truly exists as a freely available, right. In practice, now the federal Sentencing Guidelines impose a “trial tax.” The Guidelines assign a more severe prison sentence if a person exercises their “right” to trial and doesn’t win.
Increased need for legal strategy
This makes having an experienced federal criminal defense lawyer even more important. Even though the law gives many advantages to the government, we do have tools to fight for justice.
And we can win, even against the federal government.
Gallagher will identify defenses and defense issues to avoid conviction or reduce the penalty. He will involve his client in a team effort.
Have a Federal Criminal Defense Case in Minneapolis? Call Lawyer Tom Gallagher: 612 333-1500
Federal criminal defense lawyers must be skilled with the United States Sentencing Guidelines. We also must be fluent in the numerous “mandatory minimum” sentencing statutes. Mandatory minimum sentencing laws ignore the common law principle that “the punishment should fit the crime.”
Federal criminal defense lawyers identify key facts to help their People avoid “mandatory minimums.” And we minimize the dangers in the sentencing guidelines.
Thomas Gallagher works hard to defend his People from the government’s power. After all, federal criminal defense is serious business. Serious consequences hang in the balance – not only for the accused but the family and dependents.
Educating the accused person, and their supporters helps. They should understand what we are doing and why.
Compared to Minnesota state court
Traditionally, criminal law is within the jurisdictions of State Courts. In recent decades, we see “the nationalization of criminal law.” The federal government expands its power, including its ultimate domestic power – the taking of life and liberty under color of law. Yet the vast majority of “crimes” prosecuted still remain in State Court.
If we compare federal criminal defense cases with those prosecuted in state court:
- Federal court cases tend to be more serious crimes, if not in the prohibited conduct; then, in terms of consequences.
- Some federal cases are of the less serious variety, due to jurisdictional issues – such as Native-American Nation Indian Reservations or federal lands.
In addition, certain types of federal criminal defense cases are more likely to be in federal court:
- “White Collar crimes,” such as alleged violations of vague federal statutes and administrative rules, and larger embezzlement, fraud, and theft cases.
- Certain drug crimes, especially larger, alleged drug crime conspiracy cases, drug trafficking, drug importation and distribution. We’ve also defended clients in drug diversion by medical personnel, and medical fraud cases. Smaller drug cases are rare in federal court. But federal prosecutors often charge people with minor roles in alleged large criminal conspiracies.
- Certain sex crimes, especially larger child porn charges, computer sex crimes, and internet sex-with-minor charges.
- Bank robbery.
Federal Attorney Thomas C. Gallagher can help you
Gallagher works hard to be the best federal criminal defense lawyer. An experienced criminal defense attorney, he has worked on high-profile federal criminal cases.
Or you can make an appointment for a case evaluation at his law office next to the federal court-house in downtown Minneapolis. Call 612 333-1500.